- MICHAEL MALET OF ST. AUDRIES.
Michael Malet was the son and heir of Baldwin Malet by his first wife, Joan, the daughter of John Tacle; he was born in 1511, and succeeded his father in 1533; he died in 1547.* He married Joan Stawell, of the Cothelstone family; by her he had issue:
1. Richard Malet, born 7th September, 1541.
2. Dorothy, married to John Wood. In the register at West Quantockshead it is noted: "1563, Jno. Wood gent, and Dorothy Malet were married Aug. 22."
3. Mary, married Henry Worth of Devon, Esq. Devon Visitation, p. 316: "Henry Worth died Aug 3rd 1606, aged 72; there is a monument to him in the Church of Washfield, Devon" (Oliver).
Michael Malet's widow, Joan, married John Frye of Wycroft, Devon.**
Michael Malet, with his son Richard, are mentioned in the Star Chamber proceedings entered in the Trevelyan papers prior to A.D. 1558, published by the Camden Society, p. 128.
Thomas Cappis versus Anthony Stawell, Michael and Richard Malet, William Trevelyan, and others [there are no dates entered], for assault, trespass, and driving away sheep, possibly a case of disputed property not uncommon in those days, in which lands lately belonging to the Church had passed to other owners. I find no notice of the judgment by the Star Chamber.
Michael was succeeded by his eldest son Richard.
* Inquest p.m. at Taunton on the death of Michael Malet Esq're, Oct'r 27th, 2nd, Edward VI (1548). He died Sep't 17th, 1547. Richard Malet his son and heir aged 7 the 27th Sept'r last.
** Wells Diocesan Register, June 5, 1559.
John Dangard, Clerk, instituted to the Rectory of West Quantockshead, alias St. Audries, by John Frye, of Wycroft, Devon, Esq're, and Joan his wife and Richard Mallet, son of the said Joan.
- Excerpt from "Notices of an English Branch of the Malet Family", by Arthur Malet, published 1885, pp 52-54:
RICHARD MALET OF ST. AUDRIES.
Richard Malet was the son of Michael Malet and his wife Joan Stawell. We learn from Rev. F. Brown's MSS. that he was born in 1541, succeeded his father in 1547, and died in April, 1614. He married Joan, daughter of Richard Warre of Hestercombe, and by her had issue:
1. Arthur Malet, baptised January 18th, 1564.
2. Michael Malet, baptised January 22nd, 1570.
3. Gawen Malet, baptised last day of January, 1571.
Richard Malet's wife, Joan, was buried at St. Audries January 29th, 1609; he was buried at St. Audries April 12th, 1614, aged about sixty-three. The Rev. F. Brown could find no will or administration in the Prerogative Court.
It will be seen that Arthur the heir lived to the age of eighty, surviving both his brothers and their male heirs. I enter these junior members and their families in this place to show this fact, which affected the succession of the estate of St. Audries.
Michael Malet married Katharine, daughter of Henry Aly of Guissage St. Andrew, Dorset, by whom he had issue:
1. Richard Malet, born 1618, died s.p. 1630.
2. Joan, married to Thomas Fulford (license dated August 24th, 1621); who died in 1652.
"Thomas Fulford of Thorne St. Margaret Somerset April 9th 1652 my four daughters Ursula Ethelreda Katherine and Jane L. 50 each--my eldest son Thomas Fulford--my wife Joan Fulford. May 22nd 1652"(Bowyer, 111).
Gawen Malet married Cicely, sister of his brother Michael's wife, by whom he had issue two children--he died before 1642:
1. Alic Malet, baptised January 9th, 1604; he married Mary, daughter of Arthur Bluet of Holcombe Rogus, Devon, and died s.p. 1639.*
2. Elizabeth, married to Henry Powlett, one of the sons of Sir Anthony Powlett of Hinton St. George, Com. Somerset, by Catherine Norreys and brother of John, first Lord Powlett; Henry Powlett's sister, Elizabeth Powlett, married Sir Henry Hawley; Henry Powlett died 1640.
"Henry Powlett Esq. Jany. 15th 1636 to my wife Elizabeth L200 a year out of the rectory of Crewkern, my sons Anthony and Henry, my daughter Elizabeth Mr. John Coventry Mr Walter Raleigh Mr. John Symes Mr. John Mansfield Lady Elizabeth Hawley and my wife to be overseers, my son Henry Powlett Ex/or." (Coventry, 115.)
Elizabeth Powlett died 1647, aged fifty.
1. Henry Powlett the younger, late of Lydeard St. Laurence, bachelor, deceased; administration to Elizabeth Powlett, widow, his mother, June 25th, 1642.
2. Malet Powlett, of Preston Torches, Somerset. "My brother Anthony Powlet Ex/or. Feby. 21, 1671." (Taunton Archdeaconry Court.)
3. Anthony Powlett of Preston Fontnell, Somerset. "April 27th, 1674. 2 farms to John Lord Powlett of Dame and Gussage Dorset--my kinsman Robert Hawley Esq--my sister Cutts, --my parsonage of Crewkerne manor--to be buried in the vault at Hinton. Feby. 5, 1674-5." (Dycer, 18.)
4. Susan Powlett of Milveton, spinster. "My brother Malet Powlett--and Anthony Powlett--Decr. 14th 1654" (Alchin, 416.)
5. Elizabeth Powlett, married Richard Cutts
* Rev. F. Brown's MS. "Alic Malet of Milverton, Somerset, February 17th, 1638-9 (nuncupation), to his father, Gawen Malet, all his goods, lands, &c.; pr'd. May 18th, 1639. March 26th, 1642, adm/n granted to Elizabeth Powlett, sister of Alic Malet, dec/d. --Gawen Malet father of dec/d, having died" (Harvey, 95).